Friday, February 28, 2020

COVID-19 update



Some of my readers have asked me to update my thoughts on the coronavirus. First of all, on February 11 2020 the novel coronavirus was officially named COVID19 

Viruses are named based on their genetic structure in order to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so the International Committee on Taxonomy of viruses (ICTV) gets the honor of choosing the name. (I just learned this!)

It is hard not to be overwhelmed with all the stories circulating.
One one hand, the president has announced that there is no need to be alarmed. At the same time the mayor of our city in San Francisco has declared a state of emergency. It is confusing, to say the least.

Most of the information in my early post remains accurate. It is possible that the incubation period before someone shows signs of the illness is longer than previously thought, but otherwise the basics apply.

So far, children have handled any exposures and illnesses quite well. The folks getting hit the hardest are older adults. For those of you in the sandwich generation, you need to be more concerned about your parents than your kids.

Unfortunately, the numbers of people infected have continued to jump. This virus has also spread to multiple countries. I believe that it is naive to think that we can keep it from freely crossing our borders.

We have now had our first case of something called community spread. This simply means that someone managed to catch it without a traceable exposure. Because of this, I fully support the experts who are shouting “be prepared”.The state of emergency is simply to strengthen our response.

This does not mean you have to go out and hoard toilet paper! (Although make sure you have enough) What it does mean is be ready just in case.

If it ends up that you need to stay home for several weeks, do you have everything you need? It is time to check on your earthquake/ emergency supplies. Unlike in an earthquake, as we make sure we are ready for a quarantine, there is no reason to be concerned about water or electricity.

Check on:

  • Medications
  • Diapers
  • Pet food
  • Food in general
  • Special activities for the kids

What are your remedies for illnesses and immune support? Add those to the list. If your kids have to stay home from school, do you have a plan in place?

Here in California we live in ‘earthquake country’. Knowing that we have to be prepared doesn’t mean we have to stop living. It just means we are staying pragmatic and aware. If need be, we can keep ourselves and our families safe.

I have made some conscious changes. As I have been riding Muni downtown more often these days, I make a point of using hand sanitizer as soon as I get off the escalator and follow that up with a good soap and water scrub as soon as I am near a sink. I make sure not to touch my face until I have done so.

The other day, my friend Marti and I were going for lunch. We noted that at one cafe, someone was preparing the food and not wearing gloves. We opted to eat someplace else. That is not something I would have paid attention to prior to this. And now you couldn't pay me to take a cruise!

Awareness...Not panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment