Have you thought of everything?
WARNING TO PET OWNERS
We had a tragedy this year. An eight year old healthy dog got into a wrapped package that was filled with chocolate. The amount ingested proved to be too toxic for this little dog to handle and they didn't make it. Please don't let this happen to you. Make sure that any mystery packages are no where near where a pet can get to them.
- When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness. A fresh tree is less of a fire hazard
- Cut 1-2 inches from the base of the trunk immediately before placing the tree in the stand and filling with water to ensure absorption
- check the water level daily to avoid the tree drying out
- When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label "Fire Resistant"
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted
- Place your tree at least 3 feet away from all heat sources, including fireplaces, radiators and space heaters
- Make sure the tree is steady enough that it can't be pulled over by a toddler
- Trim your tree with non-combustible or flame resistant materials
- Before using lights outdoors, check labels to make sure they have been certified for outdoor use
- Make sure all bulbs work and that there are no frayed wires, broken sockets or loose connections
- Plug all outdoor electric decorations into circuits with ground-fault circuit interrupters to avoid potential shocks.
- Strings of lights and garlands are a staple of holiday decorating, but they can also pose a strangulation hazard.
- Avoid trimming the tree with things that look like candy which may pose a temptation to the kids.
- Keep sharp, glass or breakable ornaments out of reach of small children
- Holly berries and other small decorations can be choking hazards
- Don't overload extension cords; make sure that your extension cords are high quality
- If you are going to use your fireplace, make sure that you have the chimney checked and cleaned if it has been awhile since you built your last fire.
- Make sure that all candles are safely out of harms way
- the menorah should be on a glass tray or aluminum foil
- Make sure candles are not close to wrapping paper
- Don't go to sleep with candles still burning
- Don't leave the matches or lighters hanging around
- If you are frying latkes (fried potato pancakes that are a holiday tradition, yum) make sure that no one gets spattered by oil
- Never leave the hot oil unattended
- Remember that adding water to a grease fire will make it worse! Baking soda is okay, but a fire extinguisher is best. Make sure you know how to use it.